We consider Labor Day the official start to fall, regardless of what the calendar says. Schools are back in session and it’s the official end to summer. While the days are still a little warm, the crisp air of autumn isn’t too far away. To make sure your property is ready for winter and fall, homeowners, property managers, and commercial facility managers should make sure to complete these projects before winter sets in.
7 Home Improvement Ideas to Tackle Before Labor Day
- Get your HVAC system cleaned before winter. A summer of open windows means that dirt, allergens, debris, and other outdoor elements have made their way into your home – and thus, into your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system. Replace your filters to help keep these things from floating around your home. This will also help your HVAC run as efficiently as possible and prepare it for using the heat during the winter months.
- Climb up a ladder and get on the roof. It’s time to check for holes, loose shingles, and any other issues. Your roof needs to be in tip-top shape as you move into an Illinois winter. Heavy snow and rain can lead to leaks and ice damming in the winter. If you aren’t comfortable doing the work yourself, call in a local Waukegan expert like McMahon Services to handle the job for you. Bringing in the professionals now can help keep costly repairs at bay later.
- Check your insulation. Proper insulation will keep your home cool in the summer and warm in the winter. It will also keep your energy bills down! If you notice drafts in your home, consider increasing your insulation in your attic, crawl spaces, exterior walls, basement, and air ducts.
- Paint the exterior of your home. During the summer is the perfect time to give your home exterior a facelift. Cold and wet weather don’t mix with paint – so if your home needs a fresh coat of paint, tackle this chore while the weather permits. New paint can extend the life of your exterior, keep termites and other pests at bay, and decrease harsh weather conditions of winter.
- Seal any cracks around your property. This means checking each room for cracks that could be letting out cold or warm air (depending on the season) and sealing them up with caulk.
- Add weatherstripping to areas around doors or windows where caulk can’t reach as an additional method for keeping air from escaping your home.
- Trim trees and bushes and keep overgrowth at bay. This will also alleviate the number of leaves and twigs falling from the foliage and can cut down your yard work time.
While the Evanston summertime is winding down, it does not mean that projects have to stop. Keep your home improvements moving along steadily and prepare your home for fall and the upcoming holiday season.
Call in McMahon Services HVAC Cleaning
Want to make sure that your family (or employees) are enjoying fresh, healthy air while indoors this winter? Summer and fall are great times to schedule a professional HVAC system cleaning. When you have your HVAC system professionally cleaned, you aren’t just helping your home keep your ventilation system running smoothly: You are also improving the overall air quality of your home by removing contaminants like mold, fungi, bacteria, and particles of dust that circulate through the vents.
Contact McMahon Services & Construction for air duct cleaning services, HVAC cleaning services, remodeling, and renovation projects today!