Owning or managing an apartment complex is full of different types of stress. From the day to day operations to collecting rent, cleaning vacant apartments, taking care of typical repairs and so on, there are the larger issues to consider as well. One important thing to consider is what would happen in the event of a fire? Do you have a fire escape plan specific to your building?
Are your tenants aware of your fire escape plan that will allow them to exit the building to safety, with minimal problems?
Tips on for creating a fire safety plan for apartment building:
- Start with the basics. Install smoke detectors in each unit and in the common areas of the building like hallways and laundry rooms.
- Fire extinguishers should be installed on each floor as required by state regulations. All extinguishers must be checked every year as well.
- Keep the exits lit and easily detected. Lights on exits should be visible to tenants even through potential smoke from a fire. Tenants should not struggle to find the exit or worry about getting lost during an evacuation.
- Draw out a map of your building for each unit and common area. Each map should clearly mark the location where the map is placed and show the path to the nearest exit in case of a fire.
- For tenants on higher floors, install emergency ladder that allow them to escape out of their windows. These install quickly into the window frames and easily descend, allowing tenants to climb to safety.
- Have two exits from each unit. These exits can be windows or doors, but each apartment should have two ways for renters to escape.
- Practice your escape plan each year. Alert tenants to the fire drill and be prepared to answer questions or review any issues as needed.
While we try to prevent disasters as much as possible, fire may strike at any time. By taking the steps above, you will prepare your tenants with the best possible means to escape the fire quickly and safely. When you are ready to begin rebuilding and restoring your apartment building or just need an estimate on where to start cleaning up the fire damage, McMahon Services is here to help. Our emergency services are available 24/7, and we will take all necessary steps to put your property back together as quickly and painlessly as possible. Call us today to let us help.