Spring has sprung, and that means rain, rain, and more rain. While April showers bring May flowers, it can also lead to water damage due to excess moisture. By taking proper steps, you can prevent flooding from spring storms.
Start on the Roof
Flooding doesn’t just happen in the basement. Roofs can leak and cause water damage if they are not in tip top shape. Before spring, check your roof for any noticeable issues. Roof should typically be replaced every 15 to 20 years, and maintenance is key to a long roof life.
- Bring in McMahon Services to inspect your roof and repair any cracks or missing shingles before the heavy rains starts.
- Remember that even minimal issues like one lose shingle can allow water to leak inside your home.
- Check your attic for water damage.
- Look at your ceilings for discoloration or sags in the ceiling. This is a good sign that water has made its way in through the roof.
Check the Drainage of Your Home
Your gutter system is built to keep water away from your home and the foundation. If you gutters are clogged, they can’t do their job. This can lead to mold, wood rot, and even foundation cracks.
- Clean your gutters of leaves, stray toys, sticks, and other debris in Spring and Fall.
- Make sure your downspouts are pointed away from your foundation and away from your home.
- Consider installing gutter guards to keep debris out of your gutters if you find yourself cleaning out your gutters on a frequent basis.
Secure your Basement
The basement is prime for flooding. Since it’s the lowest area of your home, water tends to seep inside and pool on the floor. If you’re not careful, you can find yourself wading through flood water.
- Check for cracks in the foundation. Even small cracks are enough to allow water to seep inside. Heavy duty caulk can be a temporary fix, but for larger problems, hire a professional foundation specialist.
- A sump pump is used to keep water away and out of your home. If you do not have one installed and your house is prone to flooding in your basement, install in a sump pump! It will help prevent excess water and flooding.
- Cover below grade windows with clear plastic covers. This will keep water from pooling into the window wells and from seeping through the windows into your basement.
Call McMahon Services and Construction Today!
If you’ve experienced water damage in your home from spring flooding or other issues, call the professional water damage restoration team at McMahon Services. Our crew is ready 24/7 to head out and fix the problem as quickly as possible – allowing you to get back to normal life with minimal disruptions. We offer free estimates and inspections to all clients – call us today.