Snow and ice have given way to beautiful flower buds, green lawns, warm sunshine. If you have put off looking at your home’s exterior, it’s time to take a fresh look at the shape of your home. Winter, with its cold temperatures, icicles, and harsh winds may have done a number to your exterior. Hefty damage might be easy to spot but don’t overlook the little problems that could cost you big time later.
According to the Insurance Information Institute, winter storms can cause expensive damage, with an estimated $1 billion in insured losses reported in 2016. While only a small percentage of those losses are caused by winter storms and other types of damaging wind, hail, and flooding, they can still come with a large price tag. And if the damage goes untended to, the amount needed to restore your home could increase the longer you wait.
Spring Exterior Inspections
The warm weather has welcomed you back outdoors for springtime chores. Now take a look at these specific areas of your home’s exterior. If damage or increased wear has occurred, move them to the the top of your home maintenance to-do list.
1. Roof: What’s overhead can provide quite a lot of protection and comfort to your home. But if there are impairments to the shingles or structure, it could lead to a lot of problems, including letting in moisture or critters. Whether you climb up for an up-close look or use binoculars while standing on firm ground, here’s what to seek out:
Missing or damaged shingles
Shingles that are warped, blistering, or curling
Cracks in caulk or the rubber boot around the vent pipe
Chimney cap damage
Roofing grit in your gutters or downspouts
2. Siding: The exterior of your home keeps the elements out, whether it’s constructed of wood, vinyl, stucco, or other material. Ignore what covers the outside of your home, and you could take on a moisture problem that could lead to rot or structural damage. Avoid that by tending to:
Gaps, cracks, and holes
Wear in the way of warping or buckling
Missing pieces of siding or trim
Stains and discolorations
Siding not secured properly to the home
3. Gutters: Since spring is often a rainy season, you want to ensure water is moving as efficiently and effectively as possible away from your home. To help, respond to the following:
Clogs created by leaves and other types of debris.
Standing water or water that drains too slowly, which could be a sign of a blockage in the downspout
Cracks, leaks, or missing sealant at the gutter seams
Space between the roof line and gutter, or areas where gutters are not adequately secured
Water pooling at the bottom of the downspout
4. Foundation: If there are cracks or other forms of damage to your foundation, it could lead to indoor flooding. Avoid the wet mess by seeking out and fixing:
Crumbling or chipped concrete
Bulges, bowing, or deformities in the foundation walls
Cracks or holes, either interior or exterior
Interior moisture be it weeping, dripping, or more
Outdoor puddling near the base of the home
Cracks in other areas of the home, including walls, doorways, windows, and where walls meet ceilings. Also look for doors that jam or are unable to latch.
5. Landscaping: The green areas around your home can go beyond simple aesthetics. If not properly maintained, they could even cause damage. Here are few areas that could be of concern:
Trees and shrubs growing or hanging too close to your siding, roof, or foundation
Landscaping sloping toward instead of away from your home
Cracking or lifting of cement walkways
The cold and snow may be LONG gone, but that doesn’t mean signs of winter aren’t still present. Inspect your property exterior thoroughly or bring in our skilled professionals to search for any areas in need of repair or replacement. Don’t overlook a minor problem now, or before you know it, you could have a major loss later.
New Roof Services
We could name so many reasons to live in the Chicago, Arlington Heights, Schaumburg, Wheaton, and surrounding Illinois areas, but predictable weather weather isn’t one of them. We get hit with all kinds of weather conditions – snowstorms, ice dam buildup, hail, and wind are just a few that wreak havoc on our roofs. McMahon Services and Construction provides service, storm damage restoration and full replacement for all kinds of roofs, including:
Wood Shake Roofs
There’s more to your home’s roof replacement then just picking out a shingle pattern and color. McMahon Services and Construction strongly believes that long-term performance of your roof is of the utmost importance. Whether you choose from a basic asphalt shingle or an ultra-premium shingle, we only offer and install the top performing and rated roofing brands, GAF and Owens Corning.
We offer FREE estimates in our Chicago, Arlington Heights, Berwyn, Des Plaines, Evanston, Mount Prospect, Grayslake, Mundelein, Libertyville, Oak Park, Palatine, Wheaton, Naperville, Waukegan, Schaumburg, Skokie, and surrounding IL service areas.