Siding isn’t just to keep your house looking good for the sake of curb appeal. While it’s true that the right siding type can increase the value of a home, as well as make it stand out within a neighborhood, siding also provides many things that are helpful to your home!
Let’s dive in and learn about the types of siding and what it can do for your home.
Different Siding Types, Different Perks
Not all siding types are created equal. There are several types of siding to choose from and looks should only play a small part in your decision of siding type. Here are the most common forms of siding that homeowners typically choose from.
- Vinyl – affordable, fast and easy to install, and low maintenance, vinyl is available in a variety of colors and designs.
- Brick – strong, durable, and maintenance free. Brick will resist fire and termites and will not fade or rot.
- Wood – also affordable, wood provides a rich appearance to your siding and will last for years with proper maintenance.
- Stucco – If you are in a drier climate, stucco is a great insulator, blocks sound, and is fire retardant!
What Siding Does to Help Your Home
Different types of sidings have different advantages, but they all do one thing – they protect your home.
- Keeps away the elements. Siding acts like a protective barrier against sun, ice, rain, sleet, etc. Heavy wind and rain can pummel your siding and instead of hurting the actual structure of your home, the weather will roll off the side of your house, and you will stay protected and dry! Keep your siding maintained for the best protection possible.
- Adds support. As your home ages, so does its structure. Cracks in the walls can loosen the supports, and while siding can’t completely fix these issues, they can provide help as an extra layer of protection against the elements.
- Keeps you cool during the summer and warm during the winter. Siding will keep the temperature regulated inside your home. Think of it like throwing on a light jacket in spring or fall – not too hot, not too cold. Home siding will make your house environment more comfortable while also saving you money on electrical bills!
- Protects against water damage. We don’t think about it often but siding on our homes is one of the first lines of defense against water damage. It keeps water out, humidity at a low, and because it regulates the amount of moisture in your home, keeps things like mold and mildew at bay as well.
Install New Siding with McMahon Services and Construction
Are you in the Chicago area and ready to replace or install new siding for your home? McMahon Services and Construction is here. With summer upon us, it’s the perfect time to repair, replace, or install the siding of your choice, and keep your home protected against potential damage from the outdoors.
At McMahon Services and Construction, we offer a variety of siding brands and only work with the best. Call us today to schedule your appointment, and complete your free estimate!