It’s summer time! That means the kids are out of school, temperatures are warmer, and vacations are in full swing. Before you head to the beach, it’s important to take some time to prepare your home for your vacancy.
Avoid Water Damage
- Make sure your sump pump is working properly. Install a backup generator and battery if necessary.
- Turn off the main water valve to keep flooding at bay.
- Verify that gutters are clean, empty, and are draining properly.
- Turn off sprinkler systems and exterior water supplies.
Prevent Fire Damage
- Unplug all electronics that won’t be used while you are away.
- Put lights on a timer to keep the house from looking completely empty.
- Trim trees and keep overhanging branches free from your roof in case of lightning storms.
Let a Neighbor Know About Your Plan
- Let a friend or neighbor know where you’ll be and how long you will be out of town. Ask them to check in regularly to make sure your home is safe and sound.
- Do not post pictures on social media until you return home. While we all want to share our vacations, this is a sign to everyone that your home is empty.
- Alert your alarm company to your travel plans.
- Close all curtains and blinds so strangers can’t see inside.
Clean up Inside
- Throw away any perishable foods. You don’t want to come back to spoiled milk!
- Run the garbage disposal so food does not sit in the sink and begin to rot and smell.
- Make sure all doors and windows are locked.
- Water your plants and make sure they will be taken care of while you’re away.
Damage Can Still Happen
Even the best laid plans can still lead to some sort of damage to your home. If summer time ends with a home disaster, McMahon Services and Construction is here to take care of the problem and get your home back to normal as quickly as possible. We’re ready and waiting to serve you – call now.